- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Yankees plan Friday tribute to Steinbrenner
Question of the Day
NEW YORK (AP) - The Yankees plan a Friday night tribute to George Steinbrenner when the team returns home for the first time since the owner’s death.
The team said Thursday there will be pregame tributes to Steinbrenner and longtime public address announcer Bob Sheppard before New York plays Tampa Bay at Yankee Stadium. The ceremony will include a video tribute to Steinbrenner and a moment of silence in honor of both.
The average asking price of tickets on the market for resale for Friday’s game at Yankee Stadium went up 85 percent to $173 since Steinbrenner’s death, according to FanSnap.com and availability decreased 60 percent. Since Tuesday’s game, the asking price of available Yankees tickets for the rest of the season has gone up 10 percent.
More ceremonies will take place at Old-Timers Day on Saturday, when there will be a video tribute to Sheppard and a special performance during the seventh-inning stretch. The day will celebrate the 60th anniversary of New York’s 1950 World Series title team. Among those expected are Yogi Berra, Reggie Jackson, Whitey Ford, Goose Gossage and Don Larsen.
Plans were under way to hold Steinbrenner’s funeral on Saturday in Tampa, Fla., where the owner lived.
The Nederlander family, Broadway theater owners who are limited partners of Steinbrenner’s in the Yankees, planned to dim the lights at their theaters on Thursday night.
Sheppard’s funeral was held Thursday in Baldwin, N.Y.
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Australia issues arrest warrant for men believed to be homegrown ISIL terrorists
- Iraq Christians get meeting with top Obama aide
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors