- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
- Tea Party Patriots call key GOP firing a declaration of war
EDITORIAL: At liberty with the truth
Obama recasts statue’s history for the sake of amnesty
Question of the Day
Perched in the ivory tower for a few minutes, the president invented a whopper about the origins of the Statue of Liberty and the famous poem about it by Emma Lazarus. Mr. Obama took the story of a monument donated by France for that republic’s own propagandistic purposes and a poem its own author didn’t want to write and turned them into a morality tale on behalf of illegal aliens.
According to Obama mythology, Lazarus was a driving force behind Lady Liberty. “Years before the statue was built - years before it would be seen by throngs of immigrants craning their necks skyward at the end of a long and brutal voyage, years before it would come to symbolize everything that we cherish - she imagined what it could mean,” he said. The truth, however, is that the statue was almost finished when she penned the poem, which she didn’t do because she was “inspired” but because she was talked into it - after first refusing to write the verse - by a literary colleague named Constance Clay Harrison.
What’s most shameless about the president’s willful distortion of history is that it was used to justify the left’s agenda to provide amnesty for illegal aliens, which undermines the real account of Ellis Island as a landing point where legal immigrants filled out paperwork in compliance with this nation’s laws. Mr. Obama also twisted the facts about his administration’s inaction on immigration and the state of Arizona’s reasonable efforts to combat the alien influx.
In a fit of fear-mongering, Mr. Obama claimed Arizona’s recent immigration law has “the potential of violating the rights of innocent American citizens and legal residents, making them subject to possible stops or questioning because of what they look like or how they sound.” The fact is that Arizona’s law explicitly forbids such profiling. Mr. Obama claimed to be holding employers accountable for hiring undocumented workers. In truth, his administration filed a brief asking the Supreme Court to throw out an Arizona law that held corporations to the same standards required of federal contractors.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- EDITORIAL: This is no bargain
- EDITORIAL: The new payday inequality
- EDITORIAL: Turbulence at 30,000 feet
- EDITORIAL: Harry Reid's favor factory
- EDITORIAL: Mr. Obama's pretentious obsession
Latest Blog Entries
By Matt Kibbe
The short-term deal will assure long-term overspending
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- N. Korean news agency: Kim Jong Un's uncle executed
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
- White House improvises again on patchy Obamacare rollout
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Jane Fonda Foundation fails to make single contribution in 5 years: report
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- VEGAS RULES: Harry Reid pushed feds to change ruling for casino's big-money foreigners