- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Lockerbie bomber should still be in prison
Question of the Day
Though I was sickened when Scotland released convicted Pan Am bomber Abdel Baset al-Megrahi from prison last year on humanitarian grounds after he served only eight years of a life sentence, I think Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton is wasting her time trying to get him back into custody (“Afghanistan tops visit agenda,” Politics, Tuesday). The likelihood of the Libyans surrendering him are nil.
Initially, doctors said al-Megrahi had three months to live. Now they say he could live another decade. This shows the danger of releasing criminals on medical grounds, as predicting how long someone may live with a disease is not an exact science.Who knows - maybe even his medical reports were fabricated to help get him released early.
Hopefully, countries will learn from this experience and in the future be more reluctant to release a prisoner prematurely on medical grounds.
KENNETH L. ZIMMERMAN
Huntington Beach, Calif.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Scott Pinsker
Get Breaking Alerts
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals