- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Martin Bashir leaving ABC’s ‘Nightline’ for NBC
Question of the Day
NEW YORK (AP) - ABC News’ Martin Bashir is leaving his post at “Nightline” to be an anchor for MSNBC and a contributor to “Dateline NBC,” the network announced Thursday.
Beginning in September, Bashir will anchor a daily afternoon program on MSNBC in addition to reporting for “Dateline NBC.”
In an e-mail to his “Nightline” colleagues, Bashir said he plans “to work in both daily and long-form journalism” at his new job.
MSNBC president Phil Griffin said Bashir “fits in with what MSNBC wants to be: He’s smart, original and thoughtful.”
Bashir joined ABC’s newsmagazine “20/20” in 2004. Before that, he was a London-born journalist who won attention for documentaries including “Living With Michael Jackson,” which aired on ABC in 2003, and an exclusive interview with Princess Diana in 1995.
Also on Thursday, ABC News announced that Bill Weir, who co-anchors the weekend edition of “Good Morning America,” will join “Nightline” alongside current co-anchors Terry Moran and Cynthia McFadden. They, with Bashir, made up the original three-host team that replaced Ted Koppel in 2005.
In an e-mail to staff Thursday, ABC News president David Westin said Weir “has done some of our most innovative reporting from every conceivable venue, both as co-anchor of weekend GMA and for all of our other programs and platforms.”
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq