- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
N. Korea: U.S.-S. Korean exercises threaten region
Question of the Day
HANOI (AP) — North Korea warned the United States and South Korea on Thursday to call off military exercises scheduled for this weekend and to back off any new sanctions against the communist country or risk placing the entire region in danger.
The warning issued on the sidelines of a meeting of Southeast Asian nations in the Vietnamese capital, Hanoi, came as tensions on the Korean peninsula simmer over the sinking of a South Korean warship that killed 46 sailors. The North was blamed for the attack but has denied any responsibility.
“Amid growing concerns by the international community, South Korea and the United States have announced they would hold joint naval exercises,” said Ri Tong Il, a North Korean spokesman, according to Yonhap news agency. “Such a move presents a grave threat to the peace and security not only to the Korean peninsula, but to the region.”
On Wednesday, Washington announced it would impose new sanctions aimed at stifling the North’s nuclear activities. Mr. Ri said any new sanctions would be in violation of a U.N. Security Council statement approved earlier this month that condemned the sinking but stopped short of directly assigning blame.
He later said the North is willing to meet the United States and Japan on the sidelines of Friday’s security meeting if they request it, but no such proposals have come, Yonhap reported.
Seoul has said there will be no one-on-one meetings with the North until an apology is issued for the sinking of the navy ship Cheonan, and though U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and representatives of the other countries involved in stalled nuclear talks will be in Vietnam, diplomats have said a meeting among the sides are unlikely.
In a sign of how tense relations are — and how difficult such meetings would be — U.S. Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates struck back Thursday at North Korea’s criticism of the military drills. “My response to that is that I condemn their sinking of the Cheonan,” Mr. Gates said to reporters in Jakarta, Indonesia.
Indonesian Foreign Minister Marty Natalegawa said that he wasn’t surprised the North was upset about the drills, but that South Korea and the United States have the right to conduct the military exercises.
“They can be angry on many things,” he told reporters, speaking in English. “If you Google North Korea every day, you find all kinds of angry words, and I’ll be in trouble if I follow my policy based on their state of emotion.”
An international investigation blamed the North for the March ship sinking, which has raised tensions on the peninsula. The two Koreas remain in a state of war because a peace treaty was never signed to end their three-year war in the 1950s. Pyongyang cites the presence of 28,500 U.S. troops on South Korean soil as a main reason for building up its atomic program.
North Korea vehemently denies any involvement in the sinking and has asked the U.N. Command governing the armistice to let the regime conduct its own investigation. Military officers from the command and North Korea were to meet along the heavily fortified border that divides the peninsula, known as the Demilitarized Zone, on Friday.
The 10 members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations now are caught in the middle of a diplomatic tug of war, with the two Koreas battling over the exact wording of one paragraph in a regional security statement about the sinking. The statement will be issued Friday by ASEAN, along with 17 other nations that include the United States, Japan and both Koreas.
The North and its main ally, China, are pushing to avoid any terse wording, while South Korea and its staunch backer, the United States, want tough language condemning the attack and nuclear weapons on the Korean peninsula.
There was similar haggling earlier in the week during the ASEAN’s foreign ministers meeting, which concluded with a watered-down version of what South Korea wanted. The ministers’ statement “deplored” the ship sinking but characterized it as an “incident” instead of an “attack.”
Associated Press writers Margie Mason in Hanoi, Kwang-tae Kim in Seoul and Joe Cochrane in Jakarta, Indonesia, contributed to this report.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq