- Extra-time goal gives Germany World Cup title over Argentina
- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
Traverse City Film Festival honors John Hughes
Question of the Day
TRAVERSE CITY, MICH. (AP) - The late writer and director John Hughes is being honored at the Traverse City Film Festival.
The Lansing native died last year at the age of 59 and is this year’s recipient of the Michigan Filmmaker Award. It’s given to Michigan natives for their contributions to the art of cinema.
Jeff Daniels and Christine Lahti are past recipients.
The award is to be dedicated posthumously to Hughes during the festival’s opening night on Tuesday.
His wife Nancy and sons James and John III say they “appreciate the opportunity to acknowledge how Michigan … helped shape his humor and storytelling.”
Hughes‘ films include “The Breakfast Club,” “Sixteen Candles” and “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off.”
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Germany wins World Cup title on Mario Goetze goal in extra time
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Agency scrubs Malia Obama photos at White House's request: report
- 'Be a leader' Perry tells Obama to confront border crisis
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs