- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Bruins’ Wheeler signs 1-year, $2.2 million deal
BOSTON (AP) - The Boston Bruins signed forward Blake Wheeler to a one-year contract on Friday.
His agent Matt Keator said the deal is worth $2.2 million, the amount of an arbitrator's award given after a hearing on Tuesday.
"The decision came in the range we expected," Keator said. "There were no winners or losers in this case."
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said in a statement announcing the deal, "It is never a pleasant experience for either side to go to arbitration. However, as a manager, you know that the player will be under contract for the following year either way."
In two seasons with Boston, Wheeler has 39 goals and 44 assists in the regular season but just one goal and five assists in 21 postseason games. He was one of two players to participate in all 82 regular-season games for the Bruins last season and finished with 18 goals and 20 assists.
Wheeler said he was "anxious" going into the hearing.
"It was handled extremely professionally," he said. "I was really happy to be through with that part of the process."
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- EDITORIAL: Senate rejects Adegbile for Justice post
- 'Blarney Blowout' near UMass results in 73 arrests; 4 officers injured
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Gates: Obama strategy won't stop Putin
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again