- Florida judge slaps GOP’s redistricting plans: You ‘made a mockery’ of process
- Muslims give Obama high marks over first half of 2014
- Pennsylvania sends draft notices to 14K dead men
- KISS rocker Gene Simmons touts 1 percent life: ‘It’s fantastic’
- Texas shooting suspect had faced other charges
- Californian who sold secret to China sentenced to 15 years in prison
- Couple, 3 kids among 7 killed in Massachusetts apartment fire
- Angry mom to Obama: Feds let illegal immigrant stay and ‘KILL my son!’
- Mideast hostilities ratchet as rockets from Lebanon strike Israel
- Mexican train carrying 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S. derails
Explosions in Iraq mar Biden’s call for unity in transitional government
Question of the Day
Less than two hours later, police shot a suicide bomber near the Ninevah provincial government’s headquarters in Mosul, an al Qaeda haven in Iraq located 225 miles northwest of Baghdad. The bomber still managed to detonate his explosive belt, officials said, wounding two policemen.
Mr. Biden is keenly aware that Iraq’s security could crumble if formation of a new government results in alienating any of Iraq’s mainstream political groups. However, he pointedly did not meet with lawmakers aligned with anti-American cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, whose followers captured 40 of the 163 seats in parliament.
Mahmoud Othman, a senior Kurdish lawmaker in Iraq’s parliament, said it was too soon to tell if Mr. Biden would be able to break the political deadlock.
“This will depend on to what extent the political parties will be flexible,” Mr. Othman said in an interview. “But if they stay adamant to their demands then, in my opinion, it will be hard to go forward.”
TWT Video Picks
Senate majority leader practices politics of personal destruction
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Pennsylvania sends draft notices to 14K dead men: 'We made a mistake'
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities
- Obama seeks brisk passage of border children funding bill
- Israel rejects talk of cease-fire; Hamas targets suspected nuke site
- Amid border crisis, Obama to take 15-day vacation in Martha's Vineyard
- BRUCE: The feds plot to steal your paycheck
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener