- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
Inside the Beltway
The Transportation Security Administration is reminding military troops that “explosives” are not allowed on commercial flights.
The agency revealed Tuesday that its security teams occasionally encounter soldiers who have packed inert grenades in their luggage, often as a “keepsake” from the battlefield. Uh, thanks, but no thanks.
“We always look forward to partnering with our service members during the security screening process as we strive to achieve our mutual mission of protecting our homeland,” notes a discreet spokeswoman.
The women have spoken: Comedy Central “Daily Show” host Jon Stewart does not run a sexist “boys’ club” where female staffers are demeaned, as reported recently by Irin Carmon of Jezebel.com.
“Recently, certain media outlets have attempted to tell us what its like to be a woman at “The Daily Show.’ We must admit it is entertaining to be the subjects of such a vivid and dramatic narrative. However, while rampant sexism at a well-respected show makes for a great story, we want to make something very clear: The place you may have read about is not our office,” the 31 women said in a statement released Tuesday.
They conclude, “The Daily Show isn’t a boys’ club or a girls’ club, it’s a family — a highly functioning if sometimes dysfunctional family. And we’re not thinking about how to maximize our gender roles in the workplace on a daily basis. We’re thinking about how to punch up a joke about Glenn Beck’s latest diatribe, where to find a Michael Steele puppet on an hour’s notice and which chocolate looks most like an oil spill.”
POLL DU JOUR
64 percent of Americans say illegal immigration is an “extremely or very serious” threat to the future well-being of the country.
62 percent say illegal immigrants “cost taxpayers too much.”
78 percent of Republicans and 50 percent of Democrats agree.
50 percent overall say “halting flow of illegal immigrants” should be the main focus of government action.
67 percent of Republicans and 43 percent of Democrats agree.
32 percent overall say illegal workers will “become productive taxpayers.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: An agenda-free Easter
- Inside the Beltway: A Hillary-free 2016 would confound Democrats
- Times wins two awards from Society for Professional Journalists
- George P. Bush - son of Jeb - the lead figure in the Bush political push for now
- Inside the Beltway: The appeal of 'strong America'
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.