- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Health care gender gap
Question of the Day
Just two short weeks after Men's Health Week and less than three weeks after Father's Day, we learn more men are getting screened for colon cancer ( "Colon cancer screenings up, breast rate stalled," Web, Culture, Tuesday). That's great news, but what about screenings for prostate cancer?
While the Obama administration and the "progressives" in Congress are raining money down on women's health, why is equal attention not being paid to men's health and offices devoted to it? There are several government offices devoted to women's health, but none devoted to the health of men.
As we begin to enter the intensity of the fall elections, I would urge all boys and men, along with all the women who love them, to ask every candidate on their ballot what they have done - or promise to do - for the health and well-being of males. Should no answer be forthcoming, that exactly is the number of votes those candidates should receive.
In health care, as in education and employment, it easily is documented that virtually all gender gaps favor girls and women and disfavor today's true victims: boys and men. Any real hope for change in 2010 is up to the votes of boys and men - and the girls and women who want boys and men in their lives.
GORDON E. FINLEY
Professor of Psychology
Florida International University
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- SOWELL:Bordering on immigration madness
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis