- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
- No selfie awareness: Obama, Biden mug for Instagram as Ukraine implodes
- Putin to Snowden: We don’t collect droves of data on everyone like the U.S.
- Clemson football’s new opponent: Atheists upset with player prayer, Bible study
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s re-election launch party will be ‘history in the making,’ brother says
- Louisiana group hits back at Sen. Mary Landrieu campaign ad with ‘Actress Mary’ spot
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: ‘It’s scary’
- Pro-Russian forces storm Ukrainian national guard base; 3 killed
- Joe Biden’s first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
Juneau cruise ship companies seeing more business
In June, business was down 10-12 percent compared to last year, owner Tanja Cadigan said. That is proportionate to the decrease in ship visits.
“It would have to be so explosive through September to get that back,” she said. “I’m not saying that’s not possible, but its going to be a lot less money in everybody’s pockets, and in CBJ’s wallet, too.”
Cadigan said she’s hopeful that people who have booked advance tickets for late in the summer will be more willing to spend.
“The potential is there, but so far they’re holding tight,” she said. “If they spend more to get here, it may mean that they’ve only budgeted “X” number of dollars for their trip and don’t buy as many tours.”
Carnival expects significant price improvement for Alaska and European tours for the remainder of the year, and even recent events such as volcanic activity that limited European air travel and falling stock markets haven’t impeded advance bookings, said Howard Frank, Carnival’s vice chairman.
“So, to sum it up, despite the events that have occurred around the world in the last six weeks, people are still booking their vacations and our business has held up well,” he said.
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- NAPOLITANO: Hope for the dead and freedom for the living
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- PETA officials collide with deer
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.