Starbucks: Free Wi-Fi at 6,700 U.S. sites
CHICAGO | Starbucks Corp. will begin offering unlimited free wireless Internet access at all company-operated U.S. locations starting July 1, part of an ongoing effort to bring more customers in the door.
The Wi-Fi access, which eventually will include a new network of news and entertainment content exclusively for customers, comes as Starbucks works to take business back from rivals including McDonald’s Corp. and independent cafes that have long offered free Internet.
The cafe chain, which earlier this year recorded its first quarterly increase in customers in 13 quarters, previously offered two free hours of Web access each day to registered customers.
On average, laptop users spend about an hour using the wireless Internet in Starbucks stores while mobile phone users who can use Wi-Fi spend about 15 minutes on the network.
Temple-plot trial delayed over evidence
WHITE PLAINS | The federal trial of four men accused of plotting to blow up New York synagogues and shoot a missile at military planes was delayed Monday — probably for months — at the request of prosecutors after they were dealt a setback on evidence.
An angry Judge Colleen McMahon said she would consider a defense request to dismiss the case on grounds of government misconduct. She also set bail hearings next Monday for the defendants, who have been imprisoned more than a year.
James Cromitie, 44; Onta Williams, 32; David Williams, 28; and Laguerre Payen, 27, are accused of placing what they thought were bombs outside two Bronx synagogues last year. They also are accused of planning to use what they thought was a live Stinger missile against planes at an Air National Guard base near Newburgh.
They have pleaded not guilty and claim they were entrapped by a federal informant who proposed and directed the plot and then supplied the fake bombs and false missile.
The judge ruled last week that a document in which a federal agent dismisses the likelihood that anything bad would happen at the base had to be turned over to the defense.
Prosecutor David Raskin asked Judge McMahon to reconsider, but she announced Monday that she would not. Mr. Raskin then said that if that document had to be turned over, there could be many more, some of them classified, that also would have to be given to the defense.
Letters with powder sent to federal offices