- Mexican train carrying 1,300 migrants headed toward U.S. derails
- Secret Service begins regular K-9 patrols around White House
- Pentagon’s human memory-chip program moves forward
- Obama blasts GOP, ignores immigration crisis in Texas speech
- Marine Warfighting Lab tests the Godzilla of amphibious assault vehicles
- Harry Reid: Birth-control ruling the worst Supreme Court decision in 25 years
- Vet suicides ‘horrible human cost’ of VA dysfunction: lawmaker
- First marijuana customer in Spokane says he was fired
- Hagel: ‘Make no mistake,’ ISIL is an ‘imminent’ threat to U.S.
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to ‘fight for national sovereignty’
Father’s Day gift guide
Give Dad hours of digital entertainment
Question of the Day
Split Second (Disney Interactive Studios, rated E10+ for players 10 and older, $59.99) — Help Dad take out his frustrations over driving on the Beltway with this spectacular, action-packed driving game. Players race under the guise of contestants in a reality television show and use power-ups to destroy massive obstacles and unleash huge explosions to disable and crash opponents’ vehicles. Up to eight players can battle online (two-player split screen) or the solo driver can work through 12 episodes of the show controlling a Hot Wheels fantasy world of high-speed cars in a variety of dangerous courses. Remember: If you can’t pass a driver, just drop a building on him.
ModNation Racers (Sony Computer Entertainment America, rated E for everyone, $59.99) — This highly addictive arcade kart-racing challenge gives up to 12 players the chance to create and customize too-cute avatars, slick vehicles and complex tracks as they become elite racers. The high-speed courses combine high-flying ramps, shortcuts and drifting galore with a generous supply of weapon power-up access to practically run a certain mustachioed plumber right off the road. It’s LittleBigPlanet meets Wacky Races with plenty of heated competition in the family entertainment room.
Lost Planet 2 (Capcom, rated T for teen, $59.99) — This cooperative third-person shooter for up to four players finds a group of Snow Pirates stuck — not on an icy planet, as in the original game — but rather within hostile desert and jungle environments as they fight to control a rich resource and survive. The battles with many-story-tall Akrid creatures are epic, the depths of upgrades to vital suits mind-boggling and the selection of weapons plentiful. Stunning graphics and sound effects, along with other multiplayer options (with five action characters from which to choose), add to the firefight fun while keeping Dad glued to his gaming recliner.
About the Author
A graduate of Northwestern University with a degree in communications, Joseph Szadkowski has written about popular culture for The Washington Times for the past 17 years. He covers video games, comic books, new media and technology.
- Zadzooks: Valiant Hearts: The Great War review
- Zadzooks: Transformers: Age of Extinction toys review
- Zadzooks: Transformers: Age of Extinction Grimlock review
- Zadzooks: The Lego Movie: Everything is Awesome Edition review (Blu-ray)
- Zadzooks: RoboCop review (Blu-ray)
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Banning speech with a constitutional amendment is playing with fire
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities
- HUSAIN: The fake caliph of 'The Islamic State'
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Amid border crisis, Obama to take 15-day vacation in Martha's Vineyard
- EDITORIAL: Whats Obama hiding at illegal-alien 'refugee' camps?
- Illegal immigrants showing up at border with 'Yes we can' Obama shoes: report
- HUSAR: Mexicos Pena Nieto passes the immigration bucket
- Facebook allows 'Kill Kendall Jones' page, but deletes her game hunting photos
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs
U.S.-Ghana World Cup opener