Continued from page 1

“We see this delay in the planes (taking off) as an attempt to disguise the loss of people,” Mr. Dede told a press conference at IHH headquarters in Istanbul.

The Israeli Interior Ministry, however, said all those on board the aid convoy had been accounted for.

Turkish and Greek protesters were to fly home on special planes sent by their respective governments, while others from the nearly 20 nationalities on the ships were traveling on commercial flights. More than 120 activists from a dozen Muslim nations without diplomatic relations with Israel were deported to Jordan before sunrise.

A rally for the activists was being held in Istanbul’s main square on Wednesday.

The commando raid has seriously strained ties between Israel and Turkey. Turkey withdrew its ambassador, scrapped war games with Israel and demanded a U.N. Security Council meeting on the clash as a result. Hundreds of Turks protested Israel’s commando raid for a third day Wednesday, and Israeli diplomats’ families in Ankara began packing to leave following orders from the Israeli government.

The Turkish Parliament in Ankara held a heated debate on whether to impose military and economic sanctions on Israel. Lawmakers of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s ruling Justice and Development Party objected to the measures, apparently to avoid aggravating the situation, but eventually agreed on a declaration that was approved by a show of hands.

The lawmakers said Israel must apologize formally for the raid, pay compensation to the victims and bring those responsible to justice.

“This attack was an open violation of United Nations rules and international law,” Deputy Parliament Speaker Guldal Mumcu said, reading out the declaration. “Turkey should seek justice against Israel through national and international legal authorities.”

Mr. Erdogan, meanwhile, chaired a security meeting Wednesday of the country’s top military commanders to discuss the Israeli raid, as well as Kurdish rebel attacks.

Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said Israel agreed not to charge the activists after Turkey applied diplomatic pressure.

“We have clearly stated that we would review our ties with Israel if all Turks [were] not released by the end of the day,” Mr. Davutoglu told a news conference. “No one has the right to try people who were kidnapped in international waters.”

Mr. Davutoglu also called for an international commission to investigate the nine deaths.

The Turkish government said 15 injured Turks would be flown to Ankara, where they will be questioned by state prosecutors, who may press charges against those responsible for their injuries, the semiofficial Anatolian News Agency reported.

Also Wednesday, Egypt eased its naval blockade of Gaza, and at the newly opened crossing in the border town of Rafah, about 300 Palestinians entered through Gaza’s main gateway to the outside world. A smaller number entered Gaza from Egypt, and humanitarian aid also came into Gaza, including blankets, tents and 13 power generators donated by Russia and Oman.

Gaza has been under an Israeli and Egyptian blockade since Hamas militants seized power in 2007. Egypt’s opening of the border was believed to be temporary, although the government did not say how long it would last.

Story Continues →