- Trafficking bust reveals worries over missing kids; minors as young as 11 found
- Catholic League slams Obama: ‘Do Christian lives mean so little to you?’
- National laboratory cancels ‘Southern Accent Reduction’ classes after outcry
- U.S. woman with Ebola is stable, improving, son says
- Belgium pushes for clear labeling of goods from Israeli settlements
- ‘Queen of Mean’ Leona Helmsley’s former home hits market for $65M
- Florida beach-goers told to beware flesh-eating bacteria in water
- Lundergan Grimes uses ‘war on women’ strategy to attack McConnell
- Rep. Jeff Miller: ‘Ain’t no leash for VA’
- Al Qaeda nets $125M from ransom payoffs from Europe since 2008
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Nuclear reactors ready for global power
Question of the Day
The superpower entrepreneurial spirit embodied by Bill Gates is a welcome addition to the world of nuclear energy (“From Microsoft to micronuclear,” editorials, April 6).
The small reactors pursued by TerraPower and the 1000 megawatt plus units of today can and should co-exist. We really need both. They satisfy two different markets. Small reactors are for users with limited energy needs and no access to an extensive electricity grid. Large reactors are needed to fill the same market as do those reactors of today. Replacing carbon emitting plants will require more than just large reactors, especially in the developing world where they cannot plug a large power plant into a limited electrical system, and where they do not have the capital to even afford one. As we enter the next nuclear era it will need to be one of diversity, and once again, one of the world’s leading innovators is helping to show the way.
Professor of Nuclear Engineering
A.J. Clark School of Engineering
University of Maryland
College Park, MD.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell's wife had 'crush' on CEO
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of politicizing business