- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
Inside the Beltway
Question of the Day
“Once the suspects are apprehended, however, we should think twice before inviting terrorists into New York City to stand trial, affording them a further platform and audience to spew their venomous hatred. This latest threat is a function of our ongoing war on terror and as such, it is a military matter that should be handled in a tribunal setting,” Mr. Wildes says.
COMINGS AND GOINGS
Laura Bush has begun a 17-city tour through seven states for her new book “From the Heart.” But no big rush: The former first lady is taking eight weeks to do it.
Though Marco Rubio was in Washington this week for some serious fundraising, there are numbers the conservative hopeful for the U.S. Senate seat in Florida may heed more than donor dollars: A Rasmussen Reports survey of likely Florida voters finds his rival Gov. Charlie Crist with 38 percent of the support; Mr. Rubio garnered 34 percent and Democratic challenger Kendrick Meek 17 percent. Mr. Crist’s new campaign slogan: “People Above Politics.”
Meanwhile, is Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad a “good get” for TV talk bookers? Must be. PBS’ Charlie Rose spent an hour with him Monday, ABC’s George Stephanopoulos takes his turn Wednesday on “Good Morning America” when the pair discuss why Mr. Ahmadinejad doesnt fear an Israeli attack, and his theory that President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton are at odds over Iran.
KNOWS THE DRILL
“All responsible energy development must be accompanied by strict oversight, but even with the strictest oversight in the world, accidents still happen,” says Sarah Palin, who ramped up oversight of the oil industry in her state and created a “petroleum systems integrity office” as Alaska governor.
“No human endeavor is ever without risk — whether its sending a man to the moon or extracting the necessary resources to fuel our civilization. I repeat the slogan ‘drill here, drill now’ not out of naivete or disregard for the tragic consequences of oil spills - my family and my state and I know firsthand those consequences,” Mrs. Palin continues. “How could I still believe in drilling Americas domestic supply of energy after having seen the devastation of the Exxon-Valdez spill? I continue to believe in it because increased domestic oil production will make us a more secure, prosperous, and peaceful nation.”
POLL DU JOUR
• 59 percent of Americans overall react negatively to the word “socialism.”
• 84 percent of conservative Republicans and 40 percent of liberal Democrats have a negative reaction to the word.
• 52 percent of Americans overall react positively to the word “capitalism.”
• 67 percent of conservative Republicans and 44 percent of liberal Democrats have a positive reaction to the word.
Source: A Pew Research Center poll of 1,546 adults conducted April 21 to 26.
• Tips, quips, flip flops to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Author
A graduate of Syracuse University, Jennifer Harper writes the daily Inside the Beltway column and provides additional coverage of breaking national news, plus long-term trends in politics, media issues, public opinion, popular culture, Hollywood foibles and “eureka” moments in health and science.
She has been a frequent broadcast commentator on CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, C-SPAN, Voice of America, Citadel Broadcasting, ...
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- DCCC raising money on suggestion Obama impeachment is imminent
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq