- Records: Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- The Putin problem: U.S. needs Russian rockets for spy satellites
- Florida cops ticket toddler in toy convertible: report
- Kerry warns of ‘very serious’ response to Crimea-Russia alliance
- Fla. Rep. Alan Grayson’s wife drops restraining order against him
- McDonald’s lawsuits filed over wages ‘stolen’ like Hamburglar steals Big Macs
- HUMPHRIES: Fight like a Democrat – An open letter to Sen. Mitch McConnell
- Florida board member shocks with ‘Heil Hitler’ salute at town meeting
- Bill O’Reilly, Chris Matthews inducted into Irish America Hall of Fame
- Military given ‘execute order’ by Obama for secret cyber mission in June
Ban sought on metal bats
SACRAMENTO — A California legislative committee has advanced a bill seeking a two-year moratorium on the use of metal bats in high school baseball.
The legislation by Assemblyman Jared Huffman, a Democrat, would allow a safety review of the equipment.
The March incident left the teenager with a traumatic brain injury. Mr. Huffman said the teen was released Wednesday from the hospital.
Supporters say metal alloy and aluminum bats make the baseball travel faster and lead to more serious injuries. Opponents counter that wooden bats also are dangerous.
The bill was passed by the state Senate Education Committee.
ACLU: Stop graduations at church
HARTFORD — The American Civil Liberties Union has filed a federal lawsuit seeking to stop two Connecticut high schools from holding their graduation ceremonies at a megachurch.
The state ACLU chapter and Americans United for Separation of Church and State filed the lawsuit Wednesday. They allege that it’s an unconstitutional government endorsement of religion for the Enfield school district to allow the ceremonies at the First Cathedral church in Bloomfield.
An attorney for the school district, Vincent McCarthy of the American Center for Law and Justice, said most of the lawsuit’s allegations are false and church leaders are willing to cover up the building’s few overtly religious symbols.
Enfield’s school board voted last month to continue holding graduations at the church.
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
TWT Video Picks
By Emily Miller
Obama is losing the debate on gun ownership, concealed-carry permits
- USS Kidd sent to Indian Ocean after 'indication' of Malaysian jet crash
- Oil rig worker says he saw missing plane go down: report
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- GOP bill tries to pull courts into fight with Obama on executive power, enforcing laws
- MILLER: Law enforcement realizes good people with guns deter crime
- Ben Carson: America's now 'very much like Nazi Germany'
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Critics point to Obama's attempts to sell health care as no laughing matter
- Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee claims Constitution is 400 years old
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again