- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
- Calif. protesters to block Israel-owned ships at Port of Oakland
Fed up with the Federal Reserve’s policies
Question of the Day
When then-Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan artificially lowered interest rates in 2003 and 2004, it popped the housing bubble and allowed toxic subprime mortgages to poison the global economy. Since late 2008, when the recession became a reality for many people, the Federal Reserve dropped the interest rate from 2 percent to zero by the middle of 2009. Current Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke now thinks the economy will resurrect itself if interest rates are kept near zero.
What has risen and spread across our nation since 2008 is unemployment, foreclosures and business and personal bankruptcies. President Obama and the Democrats in Congress are reeling after Nov. 2. They fear the newly elected conservatives in Congress who will block their socialist agenda and fight the idea that quality of life only improves with redistribution of wealth.
Mr. Obama thinks following Mr. Bernanke's promise makes him look good by stimulating our economy with zero interest rates and buying Treasury bonds from banks with the Federal Reserve's pretend money - the "ex nihilo" banking strategy. In fact, Mr. Bernanke's quick fix will only stimulate speculators, who will make the stock market temporarily shine its false, optimistic light over our scorched economic landscape.
HELEN LOGAN TACKETT
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
Get Breaking Alerts
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals