- Al Qaeda nets $125M from ransom payoffs from Europe since 2008
- Ohio Gov. John Kasich cruising to re-election: survey
- Landslide hits Indian village; 150 may be trapped
- Albania bank loses $7M in theft; police arrest 2
- Gov. Mike Pence irked as Obama sends illegals to Indiana on sly
- Israel, White House say Obama phone call to demand cease-fire was fake
- Nancy Pelosi: Deporting kids un-Christian, sends them ‘into a burning building’
- Islamist militants seize special forces base in Benghazi, Libya
- Feds sue Pennsylvania State Police over women’s fitness tests
- Israel accused of striking U.N. school, killing at least 15
Beckenbauer to give up FIFA seat
Question of the Day
The former New York Cosmos star said Thursday he will not run again in 2011. In a statement, the 65-year-old said he wanted to travel less and spend more time with his family.
Beckenbauer’s four-year term runs out in the spring. His last function will be to take part in the election of World Cup hosts for 2018 and 2022 in Zurich on Dec. 2.
Beckenbauer’s withdrawal leaves German football federation president Theo Zwanziger as the only German representative in a major soccer body, as a UEFA executive committee member.
After an illustrious career as captain of Germany’s team that won the 1974 World Cup and coach of the 1990 championship team, Beckenbauer headed the local organizing committee of the 2006 World Cup in Germany.
Beckenbauer stepped down as Bayern Munich president one year ago and has said he wants to scale down his public functions.
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of politicizing business
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world