- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
Royal wedding challenge: Make it grand, yet cheap
Question of the Day
The spectacle of the hugely popular Prince William marrying his attractive _ and seemingly down-to-earth _ bride also should bolster a royal brand that has been tarnished by divorce, sex scandals and financial indiscretions.
The royal family has become more conscious of its public image after the shocks and dramatics of Charles‘ generation. The disintegration of his marriage to Diana was the worst of it, but his sister Anne and brother Andrew also went through divorces.
Andrew’s former wife Sarah embarrassed the royal family by being photographed cavorting half-naked with a lover, and this year by a newspaper sting in which she offered to sell access to her former husband to help pay her substantial debts.
Prince Edward’s wife Sophie retired from business life after a newspaper caught her boasting of her royal connections to impress a client.
Cassandra Vinograd, Gillian Smith, Jane Wardell and Benjamin Timmins of the Associated Press contributed to this report.
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Cutler wins endorsement from gun control group
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Man says he shot burglar who said she was pregnant
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq