- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
GOP challengers unseat three House Democrats in Virginia
Question of the Day
“We Republicans are a different party than the GOP of 2006,” he said. “Our years in the minority have chastened and disciplined our party, and tonight’s elections show that the American people say it’s time for our party to stop talking and start listening.”
Others who won easy re-election over nominal opposition were Republican Reps. Robert W. Goodlatte in the 6th Congressional District, J. Randy Forbes in the 4th, Rob Wittman in the 1st, Frank R. Wolf in the 10th.
Democratic Rep. James P. Moran turned aside a little-known Republican in the 8th District, and Democrat Robert C. Scott, the state’s first black member of Congress, easily beat a black conservative Republican challenger in the 3rd District.
In other election results, voters approved proposed Virginia constitutional amendments granting property tax breaks to the elderly and disabled veterans.
The fate of a third that would determine how much cash the state could save for a rainy day was not immediately clear.
The General Assembly endorsed all three earlier this year, but voters must approve the changes before lawmakers could take the next step and pass legislation to make them permanent.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Islamic militants seize Benghazi as U.S. evacuates Libya
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors