- Dutch receiving Malaysia plane bodies irked at Putin’s daughter in Holland
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: ‘Emergency plan’ launched
- Colorado judge strikes voter-backed gay marriage ban, but issues stay
- Brooklyn Bridge flag-swapping suspects identified by nickname
- Christian woman in Sudan spared for apostasy flies to Italy
- Iraq: 60 dead in attack on prisoner convoy
- Marco Rubio: U.S. at social, moral crossroads
- ‘We’re coming for you, Barack Obama’: Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL
- White flags baffle NYPD: ‘We’re lucky it wasn’t a bomb’
- N.Y. Gov. Cuomo’s office interfered with, pressured corruption commission: report
GOP challengers unseat three House Democrats in Virginia
Question of the Day
“We Republicans are a different party than the GOP of 2006,” he said. “Our years in the minority have chastened and disciplined our party, and tonight’s elections show that the American people say it’s time for our party to stop talking and start listening.”
Others who won easy re-election over nominal opposition were Republican Reps. Robert W. Goodlatte in the 6th Congressional District, J. Randy Forbes in the 4th, Rob Wittman in the 1st, Frank R. Wolf in the 10th.
Democratic Rep. James P. Moran turned aside a little-known Republican in the 8th District, and Democrat Robert C. Scott, the state’s first black member of Congress, easily beat a black conservative Republican challenger in the 3rd District.
In other election results, voters approved proposed Virginia constitutional amendments granting property tax breaks to the elderly and disabled veterans.
The fate of a third that would determine how much cash the state could save for a rainy day was not immediately clear.
The General Assembly endorsed all three earlier this year, but voters must approve the changes before lawmakers could take the next step and pass legislation to make them permanent.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Algerian airplane goes missing over Mali: 'Emergency plan' launched
- Despite rhetoric, gun prosecutions plummet under Obama
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- CROWLEY: The good-time president
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Hezbollah in Syria could join fight against Israel
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- EDITORIAL: Poor Hillary, rock-star wannabe
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq