- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Police say ‘Ugly Betty’ actor killed mother with sword
Question of the Day
NEW YORK | An actor who once had a small part on “Ugly Betty” was charged Tuesday with stabbing his mother to death with a 3-foot sword in her home after a fight, police said.
Officers responding to a call of a family dispute found 55-year-old Yannick Brea kneeling in the bathroom of her Brooklyn apartment at about 2:20 a.m. She had cuts to her head and was pronounced dead at the scene, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said.
“In a bedroom was her son … with a 3-foot sword,” Kelly said.
The son, Michael Brea, 31, was arrested on charges of murder and criminal possession of a weapon. He was undergoing a psychiatric evaluation at Kings County Hospital, and police didn’t know if he had an attorney. No phone number was listed at the address provided by police.
There had been a loud fight, Kelly said, but he didn’t know what caused the altercation.
Neighbors told reporters they could hear screams outside and inside the building in the Prospect Heights neighborhood.
“I heard this wild screaming,” Gregory Clare, who lived in the building, told the Daily News of New York. He said he heard screams of “‘Repent, repent, sinner, sinner,’ over and over again,” and “‘You never accepted Jesus.’”
Police also said a Bible was found in the apartment, but Kelly wasn’t sure where.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- D.C. plans to seek stay of order striking down ban on handguns in public
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq