- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
Florida, FSU seek more than just bragging rights
Question of the Day
“One of the biggest games of my career, especially this season,” defensive tackle Terron Sanders said. “Don’t want to be the team to lose to this team under Coach Meyer, that’s for sure. Don’t want to be the first one, so it has a lot of meaning to me. We want to go out strong, win this game and get a better bowl game. We all know it’s important. He doesn’t really have to say much.”
A win also would do wonders for Florida’s confidence after an up-and-down season in which players struggled, coaches were criticized and fans have become increasingly frustrated with every failed dive play. So the Gators have a chance to silence some critics, and maybe more important to Meyer, make headway on the recruiting trail.
“There are a lot of guys on the fence right now,” Meyer said.
Recruiting means little to the guys on the field, though.
“I think if you were to ask 99 percent of the team, it’s about pride,” Sanders said. “Yeah, we want to get to a better bowl game. But for the most part, it’s about pride. Nobody wants to lose, especially last game of the season and with it being a big-time rival like this.”
The streak makes the game even more enticing.
“They’ve won a bunch of games in a row and we have to get back in this rivalry and make it very competitive,” Fisher said. “Florida has always been a significant player in the national title hunt and for championships, just like Florida State was for many years. When you’re learning to compete with those folks, it means you’re taking steps in the right direction to get back to where you want to go.”
By Mackubin Thomas Owens
Americans suffer from damage to the fossil-fuel-dependent U.S. economy
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Bill Clinton audio surfaces from Sept. 10, 2001: 'I could have killed' Osama bin Laden
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Colorado poll shows women tuning out Democrats' 'war on women' strategy
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world