- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
Devils G Brodeur out vs Rangers with sore elbow
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - Devils goalie Martin Brodeur will miss Friday night's game against the New York Rangers with a bruised right elbow.
Johan Hedberg will start against the Rangers. Jeff Frazee was called up from Albany of the AHL and will serve as Hedberg's backup.
Brodeur was injured Wednesday at Chicago when he was struck by a shot by Patrick Kane. He left New Jersey's 5-3 victory in the second period and didn't return.
Brodeur practiced with the team Friday morning and expected to play that night, but felt a sharp pain when he tried to swat away a puck to the stick side.
"I thought I was going to be able to play," Brodeur said after the morning skate. "When I first went on the ice, I really thought I was going to be OK, and it's a couple of little things I have to do with my stick. If it was the glove side, I would have been OK to play, but because I have to hold my stick, it's a little too painful."
Brodeur said his elbow is feeling better than it did on Wednesday.
"If I took the morning off, I probably would have played tonight, but I needed to go on and see how I felt," Brodeur said.
Colin White is also sitting out Friday night because of the flu, and fellow defenseman Alexander Urbom has been called up from Albany to take his place. New Jersey will have defenseman Anton Volchenkov in the lineup after he missed 12 games with a stiff neck and broken nose sustained against Washington on Oct. 9.
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- House pushes through two-year Ryan-Murray budget deal
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- CARSON: Why did the founders give us the Second Amendment?
- VEGAS RULES: Harry Reid pushed feds to change ruling for casino's big-money foreigners
- All-out war breaks out in GOP over budget pact
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Born in 1930 in rural Missouri, Charles Vandegriffe, Sr., brings his time and place to the Communities.
Columns from Voices around the World talking about the events, people, politics and social issues that concern us wherever, and whoever, we are.
Chef Mary Moran discusses the food we eat, where it comes from and what it does for us.
An informed and often humorous take on the world of advertising, public relations and social media. 100% Pure. Not from concentrate.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow