- U.S. Navy to start giving gay couples marriage benefits in Japan
- Sen. Harry Reid goes to hospital as a precaution
- Fla.’s Trey Radel exits rehab, ‘excited’ to resume congressional role
- U.S. nuclear general boozed it up, chased ‘hot women’ in Russia: report
- 45 Calif. students at one school test positive for tuberculosis exposure
- Rob Ford on women: Give them cash ‘and they are happy’
- Ku Klux Klan group holds recruitment meeting in Maryland
- Airport assassination: Mayor, 3 others killed at Manila airport
- Tea party-type lawmakers take mysterious, off-books trip to Mideast
- North Korea warns South: We’ll attack ‘without warning’
Pryor fined $7,500 for Favre hit
Question of the Day
NEW YORK (AP) - The NFL fined two New England Patriots on Friday for hits on Brett Favre.
Defensive tackle Myron Pryor was docked $7,500 for his hit that cut the Minnesota quarterback’s chin. Favre left the Vikings’ loss midway through the fourth quarter Sunday and needed 10 stitches in his chin.
Pryor was not penalized on the play, in which his helmet got under Favre’s facemask and cut Favre’s chin.
Tennessee defensive end Jason Babin was fined $20,000 for roughing San Diego QB Philip Rivers when he unnecessarily struck Rivers in the knee area.Babin previously this season had been fined by the league.
Two San Francisco 49ers linebackers were fined for hits on Denver quarterback Kyle Orton in the 49ers’ win last Sunday at London.
Manny Lawson was docked $12,500 for roughing the passer, using his helmet to hit Orton in the chest. Lawson is a second offender, having been fined for unnecessary roughness last December.
Ahmad Brooks loses $10,000 for striking Orton in the head and neck area. It also was his second offense, the other coming last November.
Seahawks defensive end Chris Clemons was fined $7,500 for a late hit on Raiders quarterback Jason Campbell. He is a three-time offender, with previous incidents in September and January last season when he was with the Eagles.
Two Raiders also were fined, including guard Robert Gallery for a late hit on Clemons that cost him $7,500. Rookie linebacker Rolando McClain was hit for a $7,500 fine for grabbing Seahawks running back Justin Forsett by the helmet in an attempt to tackle him.
The league has cracked down on illegal hits and has promised suspensions for hits to the head or neck area of defenseless players. Since that crackdown nearly three weeks ago, no players have been suspended.
By Michael P. Orsi
Edward Snowden should declare his patriotism in court
- Huge backlash mounts over suspension of 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Deportations under Obama plunged to just 1 percent last year
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Sebelius adds yet another exemption for Obamacare
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- EDITORIAL: Red faces at the White House
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- PRUDEN: 'Tis the season for apologies
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Southern Fried Politics from the Lens of a Persian-American Millennial
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Paul Rondeau exposes the propaganda, media tricks, and government policies that undermine our families, faith, freedom…and even life itself
Implement these actionable tips, how-to’s and best practices in 10 minutes or less to leverage online communications and technology for brand, business and career development.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow