- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
- GOP presses to scrap IRS commissioner position — but put in panel
- New bill would make sure women in military can get free birth control
- Trafficking bust reveals worries over missing kids; minors as young as 11 found
- Catholic League slams Obama: ‘Do Christian lives mean so little to you?’
- National laboratory cancels ‘Southern Accent Reduction’ classes after outcry
- U.S. woman with Ebola is stable, improving, son says
- Belgium pushes for clear labeling of goods from Israeli settlements
- ‘Queen of Mean’ Leona Helmsley’s former home hits market for $65M
Olympic ‘Miracle on Ice’ hockey gold medal sold
Question of the Day
DALLAS (AP) - A 1980 “Miracle on Ice” Olympic gold medal has been sold at public auction for nearly $311,000.
The medal belonged to Mark Wells, then a 21-year-old center for the U.S. hockey team. He sold the medal this year to a private collector, who consigned it to Heritage Auctions of Dallas.
Heritage said Saturday that the winning bid during Friday’s auction was three times higher than the pre-sale estimate. Heritage president Greg Rohan said the winning bidder was a rancher from the western U.S.
Sixteen collectors made bids online or by phone. The winning bid was $310,700.
The Americans’ medal-round defeat of the overwhelming favorite Soviet Union at Lake Placid is commonly called the “Miracle on Ice.” The U.S. went on to defeat Finland for the gold.
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Proving A Point: Redskins' Bacarri Rambo vows to make impact in second year
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- National laboratory cancels 'Southern Accent Reduction' classes after outcry
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world