- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
Nadal confident he will be ready for ATP Finals
PARIS (AP) - Top-ranked Rafael Nadal said Monday the shoulder injury that forced him out of the Paris Masters won’t prevent him from playing at the ATP World Tour finals later this month.
Nadal told a news conference he has a small case of tendinitis in his left shoulder and that he withdrew from the final Masters tournament of the season to avoid risking a serious injury before the London event and next year’s Australian Open.
Nadal said he will need one week of full training to be ready for the ATP Finals, which run from Nov. 21-28.
“I’m fine. I went to the doctor and he told me the injury could worsen if I was playing,” Nadal said. “This is the end of the season and all those matches took a toll on my shoulder.”
“It’s disappointing not to be able to play here,” said Nadal, who reached the finals in Paris three years ago. “It’s the last Masters 1000 of the year and for sure one of my favorites in the world. It was not an easy decision but I played all others Masters 1000 and all Grand Slams this season.”
The Spaniard added he is determined to “play well in London on the most difficult surface for me, where it will be difficult for me to win.”
Nadal was eliminated in the round robin phase at last year’s ATP Finals after losing his three matches without winning a single set.
“I will have a special motivation, and I’m going to give everything I can to play well here,” Nadal said. “I want to improve the image of last year. I’ll try to win.”
Nadal, who has not played since a third-round defeat to Jurgen Melzer at the Shanghai Masters on Oct. 14, recently said he was feeling some fatigue from his successful season. But the 24-year-oold doesn’t think changing his schedule would improve things.
“Playing less is almost impossible if you want to stay on top,” Nadal said. “After that, I think you can change a few things, but not many. It worked well for me in 2010 and I will more or less try to stick to the same program next year.”
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- Redskins bypass big splash - for now - as free agency period begins
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again