- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
- U.S., China race to finish line on ‘invisibility cloak’
- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
- Google’s newest photography find: Just wink and shoot
- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
Streaking Falcons keep finding wins in 4th quarter
Question of the Day
FLOWERY BRANCH, GA. (AP) - Michael Turner doesn’t mind Atlanta being described as a blue-collar team, he actually thinks it fits the Falcons.
“You can say that about us. We’re just going to go to work and put our hard hats on,” Turner said Wednesday. “We do that every week. We’re not a flashy team. We’re not a finesse team.
“We just like to get the job done.”
The Falcons don’t normally rely on long runs and passes. Quarterback Matt Ryan ranks 21st in the league with his average of 6.8 yards per attempt.
The Falcons overcome their lack of flash by coming up big in clutch situations. They have won four straight with strong defense, a knack for comebacks and some unusual big plays.
Defensive end Kroy Biermann clinched the win over Cleveland with a rare 31-yard interception return. He tipped a pass at the line, dove to make the interception and then scrambled to his feet for the score.
Two weeks ago, White had the key play following one of only three interceptions for Ryan this season. White chased down 49ers cornerback Nate Clements and stripped the ball away to set up Matt Bryant’s winning field goal with 2 seconds remaining in Atlanta’s 16-14 win.
“The biggest thing about this team is we’ve won a bunch of different ways,” said center Todd McClure. “It hasn’t been one phase of our team carrying the team. It’s been a bunch of different ways by a bunch of different guys.
“If you can do that and win the turnover game, you’re gonna be pretty successful in this league.”
And if you can play defense, which the Falcons do better than most.
Atlanta leads the league with 10 interceptions, including two by safety William Moore. And the 70 points the Falcons have given up is the fewest allowed by any team that has played five games.
“We haven’t had any easy wins,” Moore said. “We disregard everyone’s record when we’re playing. As you see, every game has been a close one and we’ve had to fight to the end. We’ve had to play two overtime games. It’s been tough to get to where we’re at, but it’s only the beginning.”
The Falcons, 4-1 entering Sunday’s game at Philadelphia, are 3-0 when trailing at halftime.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson: Gays 'wont inherit the kingdom of God'
- Prevention of school massacre shoots down arguments for Colorado gun control laws
- Zadzooks: The Joker sixth scale figure review (Sideshow Collectibles)
- CARUSO: Driving off Russian aggression with U.S. natural gas
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Covering the world of soccer, including the World Cup, Major League Soccer, D.C. United and the English Premier League and other interesting sporting events.
Lists of top ten movies, songs, funny moments, fashion statements, automobiles, children's names, stupid celebrity moments, first dates, last dates, weddings, and much, much more.
Right-brain investing in a left-brain world. You can do it. I can help.
News and views on the Civil War.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow