- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
- In Colorado, a pot holiday tries to go mainstream
‘PASSIONATE ABOUT ISRAEL’
Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren likely helped Rahm Emanuel in his campaign for mayor of Chicago by calling the former White House chief of staff “passionate about Israel,” attempting to dispel critics who suspect the liberal Democrat holds anti-Israeli views.
Mr. Oren earlier this month praised Mr. Emanuel in a letter his campaign released this week. The ambassador met briefly with Mr. Emanuel before the diplomat addressed an audience at Chicago’s Northwestern University on Oct. 4.
In his letter, Mr. Oren told Mr. Emanuel that he applauded him for his commitment to Israel.
“Though I was sorry you couldn’t stay to hear my remarks …, here is what I said: ‘Rahm Emanuel is passionate about Israel. He deeply understands our history and is committed to ensuring our secure future. He is a friend of the people of Israel and is a personal friend of mine,’” Mr. Oren said, quoting his remarks to the university audience.
“And I mean every word of it,” he added.
“You were always there when Israel needed you, and you always give it to us straight,” Mr. Oren said.
The Chicago News Cooperative on Thursday published the letter in a report on Mr. Emanuel’s difficulty in convincing American Jewish critics that he supports Israel in its struggle against hostile Islamic governments.
The news item said that some “Jewish activists” are concerned that President Obama’s “handling of relations with Israel could potentially hurt his candidacy.”
Other American Jews believe that Mr. Emanuel represented a strong Jewish voice in the Obama administration, the News Cooperative said.
In Israel, Mr. Obama is supported by between 6 percent and 12 percent of the Jewish citizens, according to recent public opinion polls. Mr. Emanuel is often blamed for promoting anti-Israel policies.
“Emanuel is widely perceived as being a self-hating Jew who is determined to prove himself to Obama by sticking it to Israel,” Jerusalem Post columnist Caroline Glick wrote in August.
The U.S. ambassador in Bulgaria is urging the government to keep a close watch on the suspected mastermind of an organized crime syndicate who was released on house arrest this week.
Ambassador James Warlick told the Bulgarian Television Network on Thursday that he was surprised by the Sofia Court of Appeals decision to confine Alexei Petrov to his home instead of holding him in jail until his trial on racketeering charges.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
James Morrison joined the The Washington Times in 1983 as a local reporter covering Alexandria, Va. A year later, he was assigned to open a Times bureau in Canada. From 1987 to 1989, Mr. Morrison was The Washington Times reporter in London, covering Britain, Western Europe and NATO issues. After returning to Washington, he served as an assistant foreign editor ...
- Embassy Row: India strikes back over diplomat's arrest
- Embassy Row: India 'shocked,' 'appalled' by consular officer's arrest
- Embassy Row: Wife of Christian held in Iran feels abandoned by Obama
- Wife of jailed U.S. Christian in Iran calls for White House help
- Most Americans want no Iranian uranium enrichment: poll
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.