- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Connery a no-show at Spanish “Goldfinger” hearing
MADRID (AP) - Sean Connery declined to appear in a Spanish court Friday as requested by a judge investigating an allegedly shady real estate deal involving property the actor used to own.
The 80-year-old actor sent the judge a letter explaining he cannot travel to Spain because of his age and unspecified health issues, a court official said.
Connery and wife Micheline Roquebrune had been summoned to testify on Friday. They have not been charged with a crime in the affair known in Spain as the “Goldfinger Case.”
The official said the magistrate will decide next week how to proceed. His options include sending Spanish officials to question Connery personally, the official said, although he said he did not know where Connery is now. The James Bond actor owns a home in the Bahamas.
The court official spoke on condition of anonymity in line with court rules.
The probe involves a beachfront mansion near Marbella that Connery used to own and nearby land which was allegedly rezoned to allow condominiums to be built. The court official declined to give details but Spanish news reports says the judge is probing possible tax evasion in the land project.
For 20 years Connery vacationed at his lavish property, Malibu, before selling it in 1998.
Marbella was once synonymous with glitz but in more recent years has been tarnished by corruption.
In 2006 the Spanish government took the unprecedented step of dissolving the entire Marbella city council amid a scandal in which city officials were accused of accepting bribes and other favors in exchange for granting building permits during a nationwide real estate boom that largely fueled Spain’s economy but has since collapsed.
A total of 95 people went on trial in that case last month, although the case involving Connery and others is separate.
(This version CORRECTS Connery’s age to 80. )
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.