- Unbeliebable: White House turns Bieber petition response into immigration screed
- Obama signs law denying Iran ambassador’s visa, but says law is ‘advisory’
- Mich. judge to laughing convicted killer: ‘I hope you die in prison’
- Man charged in Kansas City-area highway shootings
- Keystone XL pipeline still on hold after State Dept. decision
- Fla. man charged with killing 16-month-old son to play Xbox undisturbed
- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
Inside the Beltway
“What happens when 51 percent of people figure out they can make the other 49 percent of us pay for everything?”
— Bumper sticker spotted by Beltway reader John Ritter in Annapolis, Md.
UPDATE THE SCORECARD
It’s gonna be a Republican tidal wave, a tsunami, an avalanche on Nov. 2. Well, that’s popular sentiment, though some strategists caution the tidal wave crowd not to let the enthusiasm peak too early. There’s truth to that. There are still 15 days until Election Day, with a diabolical October surprise lurking around every corner. And some sleeper candidates too, says Henry Olsen, vice president of the American Enterprise Institute and a National Review contributor.
“This year, there are already so many Democratic incumbents on target lists that it seems futile to search for the sleepers. Nevertheless, here are five incumbents to look out for on election night,” Mr. Olsen says, offering these “House sleepers” for consideration: Reps. Gene Taylor in Mississippi’s 4th District, Peter A. DeFazio in Oregon’s 4th, Jim Matheson in Utah’s 2nd, Collin C. Peterson in Minnesota’s 7th and Tim Holden in Pennsylvania’s 17th.
POLL DU JOUR
• 87 percent of Americans say elections are “important to the overall health of the economy.”
• 70 percent say the government does not spend taxpayer money “wisely and fairly.”
• 66 percent say America is “overtaxed.”
• 61 percent say the government has too much power and money.
• 85 percent of Republicans and 39 percent of Democrats agree.
• 65 percent of workers in the private sector and 47 percent of government workers also agree.
Source: A Rasmussen reports poll of 1,000 adults conducted Oct. 11-12.
• Revelations to email@example.com.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: An agenda-free Easter
- Inside the Beltway: A Hillary-free 2016 would confound Democrats
- Times wins two awards from Society for Professional Journalists
- George P. Bush - son of Jeb - the lead figure in the Bush political push for now
- Inside the Beltway: The appeal of 'strong America'
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- EDITORIAL: Mark Warner running scared?
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.