- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Green good for White House, other houses
Question of the Day
We applaud President Obama for taking concrete steps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and increase energy efficiency at the White House (“Solar panels to go atop White House,” Politics, Oct. 6). The president’s decision to go solar also serves as a renewed call to Congress and the administration to restore local-government Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) programs, which effectively were killed in the spring by the regulatory overreach of the Federal Housing Finance Agency at the request of mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
PACE has been one of the most innovative tools in the nation for empowering homeowners to reduce their utility bills and save money as they help the environment. PACE-enabling programs in the District and 22 states are also good for the local economy in generating critical construction-industry jobs that cannot be exported to other nations.
Local governments are looking to Washington to provide a workable solution for restoring clean-energy PACE programs, and their thinking is that if the president can install solar panels atop his house, homeowners in other cities should be encouraged to do the same.
International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives USA
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Richard Rahn
Treaty would let tyrants peer into Americans' financial information
Get Breaking Alerts
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- D.C. plans to seek stay of order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Islamic State opens 'marriage bureau' for single jihadists