- Planned Parenthood strikes ‘pro-choice’ label in favor of ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
- Ohio gives Obama a thumbs down; Hillary Clinton tops GOP all-stars: poll
- Jesse Ventura suggests suit not over; HarperCollins could be next
- State Department: ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
- San Diego Costco, Target shoppers shocked by plane crash in parking lot
New Haven tourney becoming WTA-only event
Question of the Day
The tournament, which had been one of just four sanctioned by both the men’s ATP Tour and the women’s WTA Tour, will be called the New Haven Open at Yale and will feature a field of 28 women, along with a doubles draw.
“Today’s announcement is an out-of-the-box, good-news solution to ensure that this large-scale, international sporting event will stay in our region for a minimum of three years,” Worcester said Thursday.
Pilot Pen Corp. of America had been the tournament’s main sponsor for 15 years, but ended its relationship, citing economic factors, after moving the company’s headquarters from Connecticut to Florida last year.
The tournament’s draw has traditionally suffered from its spot on the schedule. It will again be held just before the U.S. Open, August 19-27, 2011 at the Connecticut Tennis Center at Yale.
Many top players choose to take the week before a major tournament off. Others ask for a wildcard entry just before it begins because they feel they need more matches to prepare for the major. Worcester, a former chief executive of the WTA, had been able to attract top women players to New Haven, but had a more difficult time with the men.
“While we really would have liked to keep the men’s event, the financial model for staging a combined tennis tournament simply didn’t work,” she said.
New Haven Mayor John DeStefano said the tournament, with an estimated $26 million impact on the Connecticut economy, has become an important part of the area’s image as a cultural center.
“The tournament is a New Haven tradition,” he said, “that residents and visitors alike look forward to every year.”
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world