- Judge’s order preserves NSA surveillance records
- Refurbished Pollock masterpiece goes on display
- Iditarod becomes mad dash for Nome
- ‘Burger King baby’ now seeks birth mom on Facebook
- Study: 2 percent of Americans have new hips, knees
- Friend: Pistorius shot gun out car without warning
- States wrestle with developing, restricting drones
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Ukraine’s Crimea seeks to become independent state
- Ex-Gov. Christie aides to judge: Quash subpoenas
Texas Democrats’ hopes: All hat, no cattle?
It’s the same problem a lot of Democrats face in a state where the president and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi are distinctly unpopular.
In the 17th Congressional District, a mostly rural swath of Texas from Waco to College Park, Mr. Edwards, 58, is desperately trying to distance himself from Mrs. Pelosi.
Over the years, Mr. Edwards‘ brand of “Blue Dog” Democratic Party conservatism - he bucked party leaders on health care reform and the energy bill - has helped the 10-term congressman turn back a string of Republican challengers.
But the polls this fall show he is in real trouble, trailing oil man Bill Flores in a district that includes Crawford, the Waco-area ranching community of Mr. Bush.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
David Eldridge joined The Washington Times in 1999 and over the next seven years helped lead the paper’s coverage of regional politics and government, Sept. 11, and the sniper attacks of 2002. In 2006, he was named managing editor of the paper’s website. He came to The Times from the Telegraph in North Platte, Neb., where he served as executive ...
- Country Times: Is Taylor's relationship with Nashville coming to a Swift end?
- Country Times: Nashville's collaboration with Doobie Brothers a natural partnership
- Country Times: Dierks Bentley is here to save country music
- Ayotte: On Russia and the Ukraine, Obama needs to 'up his game'
- Country times: Garth Brooks — Country's Comeback Kid?
Latest Blog Entries
- Mainers would rather move to Canada than down South
- McCain: 'Stand your ground' laws may need review
- Sen. Tom Coburn: Holder investigating himself is a 'total conflict of interest'
- CNN poll: IRS, AP and Benghazi haven't dinged Obama's approval rating
- Slain diplomat's mom on Obama's Benghazi comments: 'Bullfeathers'
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Redskins free agency: 5 positions to watch
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- CARNES: Kissinger's flawed and offensive analysis of Ukraine
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- CPAC 2014: Despite Ben Carson's speech, gay marriage mostly took a back seat at CPAC
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again