- ‘Gay Jeans’ that fade into rainbow-colored denim created
- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
Giants eliminate Padres, take NL West title
Sergio Romo pitched a 1-2-3 eighth, pumping his arms after striking out Yorvit Torrealba for the third out.
Wilson finished it for his majors-best 48th save in 53 chances. He became the first Giants reliever since the save became an official statistic in 1969 to lead the majors. Wilson also matched Rod Beck for the San Francisco single-season record.
San Francisco’s bullpen went its final six games and 24 innings without giving up an earned run.
The Giants advanced despite Sandoval’s disappointing season and a career-worst five-start losing streak from Lincecum in August. The two-time reigning NL Cy Young Award winner bounced back in September. Barry Zito has been inconsistent — his spot on the postseason roster isn’t a given. Rookie Madison Bumgarner took on a key role in the rotation, won seven games and was unfazed by the responsibility.
The Padres lost for only the second time in nine games at AT&T Park this season. They went 12-6 against the Giants overall, winning the first eight meetings.
“We beat them 12 of 18 and that means they played seven games better against the rest of the league,” Gonzalez said. “They beat other teams and we didn’t.”
Notes: The Giants reached the 3 million mark in attendance (3,037,443) for the ninth time in the ballpark’s 11-year history, first time since 2007.
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
- Pentagon plans to replace flight crews with 'full-time' robots
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Kansas will nullify local regulation of guns
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Opposition rising to Colorado gun control laws
- CARSON: When government looks more like foe than friend
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Harry Reid using tax dollars to fight Koch brothers, La. GOP chair charges
- Washington Redskins' 2014 schedule opens with Texans
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Celebrity deaths in 2014