- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
Giants eliminate Padres, take NL West title
Question of the Day
Sergio Romo pitched a 1-2-3 eighth, pumping his arms after striking out Yorvit Torrealba for the third out.
Wilson finished it for his majors-best 48th save in 53 chances. He became the first Giants reliever since the save became an official statistic in 1969 to lead the majors. Wilson also matched Rod Beck for the San Francisco single-season record.
San Francisco’s bullpen went its final six games and 24 innings without giving up an earned run.
The Giants advanced despite Sandoval’s disappointing season and a career-worst five-start losing streak from Lincecum in August. The two-time reigning NL Cy Young Award winner bounced back in September. Barry Zito has been inconsistent — his spot on the postseason roster isn’t a given. Rookie Madison Bumgarner took on a key role in the rotation, won seven games and was unfazed by the responsibility.
The Padres lost for only the second time in nine games at AT&T Park this season. They went 12-6 against the Giants overall, winning the first eight meetings.
“We beat them 12 of 18 and that means they played seven games better against the rest of the league,” Gonzalez said. “They beat other teams and we didn’t.”
Notes: The Giants reached the 3 million mark in attendance (3,037,443) for the ninth time in the ballpark’s 11-year history, first time since 2007.
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq