- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
- Google’s newest photography find: Just wink and shoot
- Detroit’s Heidelberg art project hit by 8 fires in 8 months
- Pa. police pull people over for random DNA tests for feds
- NASA pushing hard to get back into space game
- Harvard student to face federal charges for bomb hoax
- Ronnie Biggs of ‘Great Train Robbery’ fame dies, 84
- Pope Francis wins another ‘Person of the Year’ — from gay rights magazine
Baylor guard Dunn suspended after arrest in Texas
WACO, TEXAS (AP) - Baylor indefinitely suspended leading scorer LaceDarius Dunn on Tuesday after he surrendered to police to face an aggravated assault charge accusing him of breaking his girlfriend’s jaw during an argument last week.
According to Waco police, officers were called to Hillcrest Hospital on Sept. 27 to investigate an assault on Lacharlesia Edwards, 21. Police said Edwards and Dunn, identified as her boyfriend, had gotten into an argument and that he punched her in the face.
“We look forward to reviewing the file and working with the district attorney’s office,” Dunn’s attorney, Vikram Deivanayagam, said in a statement.
Baylor said in a release that the university was working to gather facts and was fully cooperating with authorities. The school said there would be no further comment.
The woman’s father, Charles Edwards, told The Associated Press from his home in Monroe, La., that his daughter didn’t have a broken jaw and that “somebody down there is trying to make a story out of nothing.”
The elder Edwards said his daughter was “laughing and giggling” when he went to Waco after the alleged attack. He said the couple have known each other since elementary school and have a 3-year-old son together.
“If something would have happened to my daughter, I would probably be in jail right now in Waco because I probably would have done something to that young man,” said Charles Edwards, who said his daughter is in Monroe. “In this case, she said they were playing, and that’s it.”
Dunn was a second-team All-Big 12 pick while averaged 19.6 points and 4.8 rebounds last season when Baylor set a school record with 28 victories and got within one win of making its first NCAA Final Four appearance in 60 years. He set school records for points (704), 3-pointers (116) and free throw shooting percentage (85.7 on 126 of 147 free throws).
In April, two days after 6-foot-10 power forward Ekpe Udoh said he was bypassing his senior season at Baylor for the NBA draft, Dunn said he was staying. Udoh was the sixth overall pick by Golden State.
In 106 games over three seasons for Baylor, Dunn has averaged 16.4 points and already has the school record with 299 career 3-pointers, 91 shy of the Big 12 record. He is fourth in school history with 1,739 career points. He needs 451 points to surpass Terry Teagle as Baylor’s career scoring leader, and 518 to pass Texas Tech’s Andre Emmett for the Big 12 record.
By John R. Bolton
The president fiddles at his domestic altar while the world burns
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- We told you so: Conservatives foresaw polygamy ruling
- EDITORIAL: Al Gore, soothsayer
- Obama mocks Putin, picks gay athletes for Sochi delegation
- Top Democrats reject court ruling over NSA spying on Americans
- Army to cut up to 4,000 captains and majors
- HURT: D.C. gets the vapors, calls sequester too much
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Human interest stories to feed interest, satisfy curiosity and see outside the box.
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.
In a world that is increasingly complex, we need to seek greater awareness of the blending of cultures and America's changing role in a global community.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow