- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Colbert, Stewart push to restore National Mall
Question of the Day
Stewart, host of Comedy Central’s “The Daily Show,” announced Monday on NPR that he will ask attendees at his Oct. 30 “Rally to Restore Sanity” to help restore the National Mall. The park and its memorials have a $400 million backlog of deferred maintenance.
On the event’s website, Stewart wrote that ralliers should pick up after themselves, “in the name of sanity and reasonableness.”
“We feel it’s important to preserve this historic site for future rallies and for future Americans to rally on!” Stewart wrote. “But just in case you accidentally, like, put a beverage down on the Mall’s coffee table without using a coaster, we figure that giving a little something back to the National Mall might, at least, soften the blow.”
Colbert, host of “The Colbert Report,” is asking attendees at his “Keep Fear Alive” march to donate to Donors Choose, which raises money for school supplies.
The mall hosts more visitors each year than Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon and Yosemite national parks combined. Thousands of events held there each year have compacted the soil into virtual concrete where grass can’t grow. Its reflecting pools are filled with stagnant water, and many sidewalks are crumbling.
Stewart selected the Trust for the National Mall as his charity of choice.
“The exposure that the mall’s condition is going to receive as a result of his leadership and his viewership is tremendous,” the nonprofit group’s president, Caroline Cunningham, said Tuesday.
Rally to Restore Sanity: http://www.rallytorestoresanity.com/
March to Keep Fear Alive: http://www.keepfearalive.com/
Trust for the National Mall: https://www.nationalmall.org/
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- House backs faster deportations, cancels 'Dreamer' policy
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors