- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
- San Diego Costco, Target shoppers shocked by plane crash in parking lot
- George W. Bush penning biography of father
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels
- Spain evacuates staff from embassy in Libya
- Peace Corps evacuates over Ebola fears; 2 volunteers isolated
- House overwhelmingly approves $16 billion cash infusion for VA overhaul
- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
Girlfriend denies Baylor’s Dunn hit her
Question of the Day
WACO, TEXAS (AP) - The girlfriend of Baylor star LaceDarius Dunn denied Wednesday that he broke her jaw and said she wants authorities to drop an aggravated assault charge against him for what she called an accident.
“He has never struck me during our long-term relationship,” she said in a statement issued through her attorney, Jason Darling.
Waco police have said officers were called to Hillcrest Hospital on Sept. 27 to investigate an assault on Edwards after Dunn punched her in the face during an argument. Authorities said her jaw was broken.
Baylor suspended Dunn indefinitely on Tuesday after the charge was filed against the senior guard.
“What happened on the night of Sept. 27 was an accident and I went to the hospital for precautionary reasons,” she said. “I never expressed any interest in pressing charges, nor will I in the future press charges on this incident.”
She denied reports that her jaw was broken.
“I am fine and my jaw is not broken as is being reported. My family and I wish to put this situation behind us. Lace and I will continue our relationship and raising our son in a good environment,” she said. “I respectfully request that the District Attorney’s Office dismiss these charges and further request that Baylor University lift their suspension.”
Messages left Wednesday with the McLennan County District Attorney’s Office and Waco police were not returned. Baylor had no comment beyond its Tuesday statement that university officials were “working to gather all of the facts surrounding this incident.”
Dunn was a second-team All-Big 12 pick while averaging 19.6 points and 4.8 rebounds last season when Baylor set a school record with 28 victories and got within one win of making its first NCAA Final Four appearance in 60 years. He needs 451 points to surpass Terry Teagle as Baylor’s career scoring leader, and 518 to pass Texas Tech’s Andre Emmett for the Big 12 record.
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- Star witness in Bob McDonnell corruption trial refutes 'crush' defense
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world