- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
- Detroit porch shooting trial: Suspect says he didn’t know gun was loaded
Hawking’s universe is logical theorizing
Question of the Day
What part of "theoretical physicist" does Bruce L. Gordon not understand ("Hawking irrational arguments," Opinion, Monday)? Famed physicist Stephen Hawking nowhere claims to have the final answer to the origin of the universe. Instead, Mr. Hawking offers theories based on his highly regarded knowledge of physics. Though not easy for the layman to follow, Mr. Hawking's admittedly speculative theories at least have the merit of being based on independently verified physical principles and mathematical constructs subject to examination.
Not so for Mr. Gordon's assumption that positing a "transcendent" God can provide a causal explanation for the universe. This merely pushes him one step further from answering the "first cause" question because who, then, created God? Mr. Gordon apparently assumes no one created God, who presumably exists eternally and doesn't require a cause.
The problem is that such a position leaves Mr. Gordon with no logical grounds to deny that the universe can exist eternally and doesn't require a cause because his argument assumes the very thing it is attempting to refute - that something can exist without a cause. It is a rather basic logical fallacy and one unlikely to come from Stephen Hawking.
Great Falls, Va.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
The subsidies are a hit with patients who don't exist
Get Breaking Alerts
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- Obama's empty tough-talk: Gun prosecutions plummet on his watch
- House panel OKs resolution to sue president for Obamacare delays
- Conservative groups decry Democrats' 'war on women' tactic
- Obama says public not familiar enough with issues
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Astronaut shares 'saddest photo' from space: Bombs bursting over Israel, Gaza
- Doctor, 2 others shot at Pennsylvania hospital: reports