- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
- GOP presses to scrap IRS commissioner position — but put in panel
- New bill would make sure women in military can get free birth control
Oregon men settle abuse claims against Boy Scouts
Question of the Day
PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) | Six men who claimed they were sexually abused by an Oregon Boy Scouts leader in the 1980s have settled their lawsuits against the group’s national organization for undisclosed amounts, the plaintiffs’ attorney said Wednesday.
The settlements include the case of one man, Kerry Lewis, who was awarded nearly $20 million in damages from Boy Scouts of America in a trial that ended in April. It was thought to be the largest such award against the national organization.
A jury found the Texas-based group negligent for allowing a former assistant scoutmaster, Timur Dykes, to associate with Scouts after he admitted to a Scouts official in 1983 that he had molested 17 boys. The verdict came as the Boy Scouts, a congressionally chartered organization, mark their centennial.
In that trial, Mr. Lewis‘ attorneys used secret files kept by the Boy Scouts to try to demonstrate that the organization dismissed or ignored allegations of sex abuse by Scouts leaders for nearly two decades. It was the first time the so-called “perversion files” had been used in a trial.
But an attorney for the five, Kelly Clark, announced his clients and the Scouts have agreed to a settlement.
“This is a great day for Kerry Lewis and for all these men,” he said.
Mr. Lewis expressed relief to have the matter settled, saying in a written statement: “On behalf of all six of us, I can say that we are glad this is over.”
The settlement was confirmed by the spokesman for the Boy Scouts of America, Deron Smith.
“We extend our sympathies to the victims and are pleased to have reached a settlement which will both prevent these men from reliving their experiences during a trial and allow BSA to focus even more intently on the continued enhancement of our youth protection program,” Mr. Smith said in an e-mail.
He said the organization and its leaders remain “deeply committed to providing the safest possible environment for our youth and already have made significant improvements to our youth protection program in the 25 years since the events in these cases occurred.”
The Boy Scouts have settled sex abuse lawsuits out of court before, although the exact number is not known because not all are announced.
But an expert on the subject, Patrick Boyle, has said that from 1984 through 1992, the Scouts were sued at least 60 times for alleged sex abuse, with settlements and judgments totaling more than $16 million.
TWT Video Picks
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Proving A Point: Redskins' Bacarri Rambo vows to make impact in second year
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Obama mum on where illegal immigrant children are sheltered
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world