- Egypt rights center raided, 2 Mubaraks acquitted
- New Mexico Supreme Court rules same-sex marriage constitutional
- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
New starting QBs abound in SEC
Question of the Day
That would be the sophomore Stanley and JUCO transfer Randall Mackey. Stanley backed up the aforementioned Snead, throwing just 23 passes. Snead, a Texas transfer, was intercepted 20 times in his second season.
None of the first-time starters face FBS teams coming off winning seasons, which could help ease through the opening day jitters.
A look at the other new SEC quarterbacks:
_Brantley is the most high-profile new starter, because of his team’s record and his predecessor’s accomplishments. He’ll take the field against Miami (Ohio).
“I’m trying not to think about it too much so that I don’t get too nervous,” Brantley said. “It’s going to be a little nerve-racking running out there the first time, but if you’re not nervous then there’s something wrong. I’m excited. I just can’t wait for Saturday to come.”
Newton transferred from Florida after getting charged with stealing a laptop (he says he bought it not knowing it was stolen). The charges were dropped after he completed a pretrial intervention program for first-time offenders.
“I think he’s a great quarterback,” Brantley said. “He’s a really smart football player. He knows the game of football. It’s just unfortunate because of his past but I think he’s going to do a great job at Auburn. I’m pulling for him.”
From Newton’s perspective, “I feel like the luckiest man on earth to be able to start for any Division I school.”
“We were just waiting our turn, and unfortunately he got the chance,” Newton said. “But I’m still in an excellent situation myself, so it worked out for the both of us.”
_No SEC team has less seasoning at quarterback than Georgia. Murray is a redshirt freshman, backed up by freshman Hutson Mason and two walk-ons. The only Bulldog player with game time at quarterback is Logan Gray, last year’s backup to Joe Cox and now a receiver.
No wonder coach Mark Richt said Georgia’s “quarterback room has got to be the youngest room maybe in the history of college football.”
But he’s been here before, having started David Greene and Matthew Stafford as freshmen.
_At Tennessee, Simms beat out freshman Tyler Bray but he hasn’t even seen Neyland Stadium on a game day much less started.
By Michael P. Orsi
Edward Snowden should declare his patriotism in court
- Citing 'unfair system,' Obama commutes sentences for 8 crack offenders
- Homeland Security helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Special ops vets slam military benefit cuts
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Southern Fried Politics from the Lens of a Persian-American Millennial
All of the world’s problems, solved on your back porch
Paul Rondeau exposes the propaganda, media tricks, and government policies that undermine our families, faith, freedom…and even life itself
Implement these actionable tips, how-to’s and best practices in 10 minutes or less to leverage online communications and technology for brand, business and career development.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow