Crews close to containing Colorado wildfire

Question of the Day

Is it still considered bad form to talk politics during a social gathering?

View results

BOULDER, Colo. (AP) — Fire teams battling a destructive 10-square-mile wildfire near Boulder are growing increasingly confident that they’ve been able to stop it from spreading so that some 1,000 evacuees soon can return to their homes — or what remains of them.

Boulder authorities said Sunday that residents from another subdivision ravaged by the wildfire will be allowed to return to their homes for good, but officials warned that much of the area is dangerous because of downed power lines and poles, damaged roads and exposed mine shafts. Still, utility workers were restoring electricity to homes where about 2,000 residents have been allowed to return in the rugged foothills above Boulder.

The Denver Post reported on Sunday that authorities are investigating whether a fire pit sparked the devastating wildfire.

The Post said that criminal charges are possible if investigators determine that the wildfire was started by an untended fire pit. The newspaper attributed the information to a senior law enforcement official familiar with the investigation but did not name the official.

Boulder Sheriff Joe Pelle previously said investigators initially believed the fire was started by a vehicle that crashed into a propane tank.

On Saturday, firefighter Steve Reece spent the day digging out grass and cutting through roots with a tool that’s part shovel, part hoe and part ax to snuff out hot spots.

“We had a good day,” Mr. Reece said.

The Fourmile Canyon fire erupted Sept. 6 and quickly destroyed at least 169 homes. It was 73 percent contained Saturday night, and crews, taking advantage of calmer winds, hoped for full containment by Monday evening. Some 1,000 firefighters from 20 states dug lines and tamped out hot spots.

“It’s great. We’re looking better and better,” said Jim Thomas, head of the federal incident response team leading the effort.

Fire spokesman Terry Krasko said Sunday that operations are beginning to be scaled back and some crews are being relieved.

An infrared flight over the burn area showed several areas of isolated heat but no large pockets of intense heat, as previously seen. Firefighters focused on those areas, especially ones near buildings.

The Boulder County Sheriff’s Office planned to issue passes Sunday to residents from the hardest hit areas so they eventually can access their property without impeding firefighters or police. But Cmdr. Rick Brough said it wasn’t known when or which roads, some heavily damaged, will be reopened to those areas.

Inside the burn area Saturday, crews worked to snuff out smoldering stumps with shovels, axes and water carried on backpacks. Fire trucks and water tenders ferried water up the mountains and down the canyons while helicopters dropped water on hot spots.

“There is a lot of unburned fuel and a lot of houses at risk,” warned Don Ferguson, a spokesman for the incident command.

The fire left some houses standing among blackened forests while homes nearby burned to the ground. Burned cars littered driveways. At one home, a winding stucco concrete staircase rose about 15 feet into open space — where a house used to be. Beyond, mountains in the distance sprouted 100-acre patches of burned trees surrounded by green forest and untouched homes.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks