EDMONTON, Alberta | The Edmonton Oilers told defenseman Sheldon Souray that he isn't welcome when training camp opens on Friday.
The Oilers issued a statement Monday night after reports surfaced that Souray, who requested a trade last season, had softened his stance and was planning to attend camp.
"In response to the recent reports surrounding Sheldon Souray, the Edmonton Oilers informed him last week that he will not be attending training camp," Oilers general manager Steve Tambellini said.
Souray, 34, is entering the fourth season of a five-year contract worth $27 million. He missed 45 games last season because of a concussion and broken right hand.
In addition to the trade request, Souray also accused management of pressuring him to come back from offseason shoulder surgery before he was ready to play at the start of the 2007-08 season.
Tambellini issued a statement last April after Souray made the accusation.
"We understand Sheldon has had a tough year and he has a desire to play elsewhere," Tambellini said. "His additional comments regarding being 'forced to play' when injured are far more serious and my stance is that they are demonstrably untrue."