- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Houston loses star QB Keenum, backup for season
The Cougars also lost Keenum’s backup, Cotton Turner, for the season Saturday night with a broken collar bone.
Turner broke his clavicle in the third quarter.
“I am very disappointed for both these young men,” coach Kevin Sumlin said in a release Sunday. “It’s hard to see them hurting right now. They both are a big part of this team and wanted to be contributors to its success this season. I think they can still do that with their off-the-field leadership.”
Keenum, a senior, came into the season as a Heisman Trophy hopeful, and the Cougars were considered among the favorites to win Conference USA after reaching the league title game as the West Division winners last season.
Keenum passed for 636 yards and five touchdowns in three games and had a good chance to break two major passing record if he could repeat last season’s numbers of 5,671 yards and 44 touchdown passes.
He was 3,486 yards behind Timmy Chang’s mark of 17,072, set from 2000-04 with Hawaii, and needed 28 more touchdown passes to break the record of 134 set by Graham Harrell of Texas Tech from 2005-08.
Keenum sustained a concussion last week trying to make a tackle after an interception against UTEP.
The Cougars will likely go with freshman Terrance Broadway in the wake of the injuries.
Extra charge on the bill reminds everyone who's paying
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Two liberals say Sarah Palin is right: Obama lacks substance
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- 'Holy grail of guitars' among those in N.Y. auction
- IRS to turn over Lerner emails in tea party targeting probe
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again