- Sen. Rand Paul: ‘I am seriously thinking about’ running for president in 2016
- Sleet, ice, deepfreeze hit large swath of U.S.
- ‘Welcome to the edge of freedom’: Biden’s boots touch down in DMZ
- Obama: Hole U.S. ‘digging out of’ requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
Paris Hilton pleads in Vegas arrest, avoids jail
LAS VEGAS (AP) - Just a few years ago, Paris Hilton claimed her lawless days were behind her after she served 23 days in jail for violating probation.
These days, however, it’s unclear exactly what the celebrity socialite learned from her time behind bars.
Hilton, whose partying brought her worldwide notoriety, acknowledged in a court appearance Monday that she stashed cocaine in her purse and lied to police during her arrest last month at a Las Vegas resort.
Under the terms of a plea deal, the 29-year-old Hilton pleaded guilty to drug possession and obstructing an officer, both misdemeanors. She must serve a year of probation, complete a drug program, pay a $2,000 fine and serve 200 hours of community service.
If she violates her probation, she could get a year in jail.
It was Hilton’s latest encounter with the law since 2006, when she was arrested in Los Angeles on suspicion of driving under the influence. She later pleaded no contest to alcohol-related reckless driving and was put on probation, which she later violated by driving with a suspended license. Hilton served 23 days in jail because of the violation.
In July, she briefly faced a marijuana case after a FIFA World Cup game in South Africa, but the allegation was dropped when a woman who was with her pleaded guilty to carrying the drug.
Hilton was arrested again on Aug. 26 inside the Wynn resort on the Las Vegas Strip. Police said a small bag containing 0.8 of a gram of cocaine fell from her Chanel purse as she reached for a tube of lip balm in front of a police lieutenant.
Hilton told police the purse and cocaine were not hers.
“I asked Hilton whose cocaine it was, and she said she had not seen it but now thought it was gum,” Las Vegas police Lt. Dennis Flynn wrote in his report.
- Obama: Hole U.S. 'digging out of' requires billions more in unemployment benefits
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- Activists urge Obama to go rogue, sidestep Congress
- Obama tries to calm Israeli fears over Iranian nuke deal 'not based on trust'
- 'Hunger Games' delivers Obama's message on income inequality
- Obamas call to close Vatican embassy is 'slap in the face' to Roman Catholics
- Craigslist killers: Police say newlyweds stabbed man for thrills
- Dick Cheney: Family feud over gay marriage has been 'dealt with'
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Get in the middle of all the action inside and outside the boxing ring.
Opinion, analysis, and musings on politics, pop culture, reinvention, and the resultant flotsam and jetsam floating around the right-of-center quadrant of the Left Coast.
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
White House pets gone wild!