- Malaysia Airlines pilots sometimes left cockpit door unlocked: U.S. businessman
- PHILLIPS: The benefits of defying ‘common wisdom’
- Judge strikes down Arkansas abortion law — nation’s toughest — as unconstitutional
- Court: Tenn. must recognize 3 same-sex marriages
- Russia claims to have downed U.S. drone over Crimea region; Pentagon denies
- John Daly shoots 90 at PGA Tour event: ‘I’m falling apart’
- Police: Man arrested in West Virginia may be linked to Alexandria killings
- Smile: Equipping cops with body-mounted cameras gains steam in Calif., N.Y.
- Obama to sign bill cutting taxpayer money for party conventions
- Half of Americans worried about second Cold War: poll
Newark, NJ, schools to receive Facebook donation
NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - The public school system in New Jersey’s largest city is poised to receive $100 million from the founder of Facebook.
Democratic Newark Mayor Cory Booker, Republican Gov. Chris Christie and Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg are expected to announce the donation Friday on Oprah Winfrey’s Chicago-based syndicated television show.
Several media outlets including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and Newark’s The Star-Ledger reported the donation Wednesday night. They say Booker will gain some control over the troubled school system, which is run by the state and has some of its lowest test scores and poorest graduation rates.
Christie opted last month not to rehire Newark’s schools superintendent. A search for a successor is under way.
Facebook is based in Palo Alto, Calif.
TWT Video Picks
By David A. Clarke Jr.
Blame Washington's intelligence failure, not lack of police
- CURL: We completely overhauled American health care to insure 4.2 million people?
- California gun store owner refuses to hand over customer list
- Firefighters discover church's Bible in Harlem rubble following gas explosion
- Bill Maher: God a 'psychotic mass murderer' who 'drowns babies'
- Crimea votes in favor of secession, U.S. rejects
- McCain: 'Russia is a gas station masquerading as a country'
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Trust me: Obama promises new overtime rules will be 'easier for everyone'
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014