- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
No. 5 Oregon’s D quietly doing the job
Question of the Day
It’s the whole package that makes the Ducks particularly dangerous, in Erickson’s estimation.
“To me they may be the best football team in the country,” he said. “When you look at them on both sides of the football and their kicking game. They are so balanced. You cannot decide what their strengths are.”
The Sun Devils are 2-1 to start the season, with wins against the FCS Big Sky Conference’s Portland State and Northern Arizona before a close 20-19 loss to No. 11 Wisconsin. Arizona State kept the Badgers’ defense off balance for much of the day with their up-tempo spread offense, but couldn’t turn drives into points. Then Jay Valai swatted the Sun Devils’ attempt at a tying extra point.
The stakes _ and the competition _ are raised starting this week in Pac-10 play. Oregon is the defending Pac-10 champion and expected to repeat.
The Ducks are keenly aware that other conference teams will consider them the season’s ultimate upset.
“I’d be lying if I said no,” said defensive lineman Brandon Bair when asked if Oregon has a target on its back. “But I think it’s less that we’re defending champs and more of how we’ve played the last the games.”
(This version CORRECTS Replaces fourth paragraph to correct to New Mexico instead of Oregon State and correct score of Portland State game to 69-0.)
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Russia violating 1987 nuclear missile treaty
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq