- ‘Tis the Season: London florist creates $4.6 million Christmas wreath
- No tailgating allowed at Super Bowl XLVIII
- Pentagon to transport African troops to Central African Republic
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend’s shopping jumps to his death
- Ukraine leader to talk with protesters; Washington urges caution
- Pope Francis: A nun saved my life
- Israeli P.M. Netanyahu backs out of Mandela funeral
- Elian Gonzalez makes first trip outside Cuba since custody battle
- U.S., British intelligence agents enter online sci-fi world to spy on gamers
- Sarah Palin to host the outdoors show ‘Amazing America’
Cardinals face Gradkowski, Raiders in home opener
Anderson, true to his reputation, has been inconsistent. He led the team on a winning touchdown drive against St. Louis but threw two interceptions against Atlanta. Anderson understands the early changes at the quarterback position, not only in Oakland but elsewhere around the NFL.
“You’ve got to win,” he said. “You’ve got to make the throws, you’ve got to play well, be a leader for your team. That’s the bottom line. I understand that and I think every quarterback in the league understands that.”
Arizona expects to have running back Beanie Wells available for the first time this season. The second-year pro from Ohio State, the team’s leading rusher last season, sat out the first two games with what the team had said was a bruised right knee. However, late in the week, Whisenhunt confirmed the running back had undergone arthroscopic surgery. Wells said it was to repair a torn meniscus.
His return could mean a heavier reliance on the run, which has been one of the better aspects of Arizona’s game. Tim Hightower had a career-best 80-yard touchdown run against the Falcons.
Fitzgerald still is coming back from a bruised right knee that kept him out of the final three preseason games.
“He still looks like the Fitzgerald that I know,” Asomugha said. “… Watching him on film is all the same to me. That same competitor, that same competitor, that same elite talent in this league.”
Fitzgerald has been slow to get in synch with Anderson but still has 10 catches for 126 yards and a touchdown. He said going against Pro Bowl cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie in practice helps him get ready for Asomugha.
“It’s a great challenge,” Fitzgerald said. “He’s one of the premier corners, if not the best, in the business, but I have a great corner in DRC that I’m able to go against. He’s preparing me to go against guys like him (Asomugha) and other premier guys in the league.”
Arizona was 0 for 8 on third-down conversions against Atlanta and had 10 penalties in each of its first two games.
Even though the Falcons were without their top two running backs, they rushed for 221 yards as the Cardinals missed tackles and messed up alignments.
Expect the Raiders to send running back Darren McFadden, with 240 yards rushing in two games, at Arizona early and often.
“I know the perception right now is not the greatest,” he said, “but listen, I think we are excited about showing you that we can be a good football team.”
By Tom Fitton
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- CURL: Obama tells a whopper on IRS scandal
- MSNBC host: Obamacare a 'wealthy white men' racist word
- WOLF: The president's other Obamacare lies
- Lawmakers see 'false narrative' of Obama as a terrorist fighter
- Ted Cruz sees legal landmines ahead for Obamacare
- MILLER: Brady Campaign says Colorado recalls due to NRA, not grassroots opposition to gun control
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whiskey: U.K.-born expert
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Richard Ivory, editor-in-chief of Hip Hop Republicans and HHR at Communities Digital News, turns his interests, and pen, to the people making news today.
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
The world impacts us. What happens in our towns, cities, states, country and on this planet makes a difference to us.
Happiness is attainable. Morning to night. I love to teach, deal with folks that have an issue and really wish to tackle it and write.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow