Palestinians wait on decision to quit peace talks

French President Nicolas Sarkozy (right) reacts during a meeting with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas at the Elysee Palace on Monday, Sept. 27, 2010, in Paris. Mr. Abbas said Sunday that Israel must choose between peace or settlements as Israel's 10-month settlement construction slowdown expired. (AP Photo/Jacques Brinon)
French President Nicolas Sarkozy (right) reacts during a meeting with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas at the Elysee Palace on Monday, Sept. 27, 2010, in Paris. Mr. Abbas said Sunday that Israel must choose between peace or settlements as Israel’s 10-month settlement construction slowdown expired. (AP Photo/Jacques Brinon)
Question of the Day

Is it still considered bad form to talk politics during a social gathering?

View results

JERUSALEM (AP) — The Palestinian president said Monday he would wait at least a week before deciding whether to quit Mideast peace talks, giving U.S. mediators precious time to broker a compromise after Israel refused to extend its 10-month moratorium on new West Bank settlement construction.

President Mahmoud Abbas repeatedly has threatened to withdraw from the newly launched negotiations if Israel resumes building in the settlements. But with the stakes so high, Mr. Abbas said during a visit to Paris that he would not make any hasty decisions. He said he would consult with the Palestinian leadership before discussing the matter with representatives of the 22-member Arab League next Monday.

“We will not have any quick reactions,” he said at a news conference standing beside French President Nicolas Sarkozy. “After this chain of meetings, we will be able to put out a position that clarifies the Palestinian and Arab opinion on this issue now that Israel has refused to freeze settlements.”

A senior Palestinian official said the Palestine Liberation Organization’s 18-member decision-making body would meet Wednesday or Thursday to determine how to proceed. He was speaking on condition of anonymity because he was discussing internal Palestinian deliberations.

The construction restrictions that the Israeli government ordered expired at midnight Sunday with no sign Israel was heeding U.S. and Palestinian pressure to keep the curbs in place.

A bulldozer works at a construction site in the Jewish settlement of Adam outside Jerusalem on Sunday, Sept. 26, 2010. With a midnight deadline looming, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday called on West Bank settlers to "show restraint" after the end of a government-ordered construction slowdown, attempting to lower tensions with the Palestinians and prevent a breakdown in newly relaunched Mideast talks. (AP Photo/Sebastian Scheiner)

Enlarge Photo

A bulldozer works at a construction site in the Jewish settlement of ... more >

The end of restrictions threw the peace talks, which only restarted three weeks ago, into doubt. But the Americans said they were still working with Israeli and Palestinian negotiators to find a formula that would keep the negotiations alive.

Mr. Abbas on Monday urged Israel to extend the settlement slowdown for three or four more months to allow for a discussion of “fundamental issues” in negotiations.

In Cairo, an Arab League official said Arab foreign ministers were expected to endorse whatever position Mr. Abbas took. He spoke on condition of anonymity because no decision had been made.

Immediately after the restrictions expired at midnight, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu appealed to Mr. Abbas to keep negotiating.

Israeli Deputy Prime Minister Silvan Shalom appealed to the Palestinians to keep talking. “I think if they continue to negotiate with us, we can finally reach an agreement,” he said, expressing regret that the talks did not resume earlier in the 10-month settlement slowdown period.

In Washington, the State Department said envoy George Mitchell would return to the region on Tuesday for talks with Israeli and Palestinian leaders — presumably part of the effort to find a compromise formula over the settlement issue.

Jewish settlers in the West Bank jubilantly marked the end of the construction curbs on Sunday, sending thousands of blue and white balloons — the colors of the Israeli flag — into the air and breaking ground on a new kindergarten. They vowed to build thousands of new homes.

On Monday, there was only a smattering of construction in different settlements across the West Bank.

In Adam, north of Jerusalem, contractors surveyed building plans for new housing as a bulldozer cleared away earth. Another patch of land was prepared by a lone bulldozer in Karmei Tzur, in the southern West Bank, while four construction vehicles worked on leveling a rock-and-shrub-covered plot in Ariel, a large settlement in the northern West Bank, to make the way for 100 homes planned in the area.

Settler leaders acknowledged construction activity would be minimal in the coming months, in part because banks and developers are reluctant to commit to new projects out of fear that building will be stopped again

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks