- Feds tout nearly 200 arrests, $625K in seized cash in Texas border crackdown
- Joy Behar: Sarah Palin should be ‘turning letters over on some game show’
- Rhino poacher in South Africa sentenced to 77 years in jail
- John Kerry defies FAA and flies to Israel to talk peace
- Beretta leaves Maryland over gun laws, heads for Tennessee
- Neal Boortz defends Hillary Clinton for representing child rapist
- House task force to recommend National Guard on border, faster deportations
- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
Question of the Day
Under current requirements, financial institutions each year file about 14 million reports on transactions in excess of $10,000.
Stevens prosecutor commits suicide
A Justice Department prosecutor killed himself while under investigation over whether he and other attorneys in the prosecution of Sen. Ted Stevens acted improperly in the case, officials said.
Nicholas A. Marsh, 37, committed suicide on Sunday, two years after being part of the Justice Department team that convicted Mr. Stevens on corruption charges that were eventually thrown out. Mr. Marsh’s suicide was confirmed by his attorney, Robert Luskin.
“I think Nick loved being a prosecutor and I think he was incredibly fearful that this would prevent him from continuing to work for the Justice Department,” Mr. Luskin said Monday. “It’s incredibly tragic after all this time when we were on the verge of a successful resolution.”
The prosecutors in the Stevens case failed to disclose evidence favorable to the defendant as Supreme Court precedent requires. The omission was so serious that Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. stepped in and asked a federal judge to throw out Stevens’ convictions, which the judge did.
Stevens, a longtime Republican senator from Alaska, lost his Senate seat in an election shortly after his October 2008 conviction. He died in a plane crash in August.
GOP donors appeal ruling on Crist refunds
Republicans aren’t giving up their quest for refunds of donations they gave Gov. Charlie Crist’s U.S. Senate campaign before he abandoned the GOP to run as an independent.
The attorney for two GOP donors said Monday he will appeal a Naples judge’s denial last week of class-action status in the case. The ruling means each contributor to the Mr. Crist campaign would have to seek a refund through individual court action.
Some Republicans contend Mr. Crist should return at least $7.5 million given to his Senate bid before he left the GOP and became an independent last spring. Mr. Crist’s attorneys say donors have many reasons besides party affiliation to contribute money.
An appeals court in Tallahassee is being asked to prevent the Mr. Crist campaign from spending the money in question.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
Retailer pays a price for getting too close to Obama
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- David Perdue defeats Jack Kingston in Georgia Republican Senate primary runoff
- 'Straight White Guy Festival' supposedly set for Ohio park
- D.C. appeals panel deals big blow to Obamacare subsidies
- Beretta moving to Tennessee over Maryland gun laws
- Pentagon team dispatched to Ukraine amid crisis with Russia
- CARSON: Costco and the perils of mixing politics and business
- EDITORIAL: A new witch hunt in Salem
- Outrage over $190M border security deal for troubled federal contractor USIS
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq